Perhaps its due to the limited exposure we have to plants which are limited to the garden variety which look pleasant, smell nice or are available at your neighborhood garden shop, people have a hard time imagining how powerful these pharmacies of nature can be. Let’s consider the following:
- Plants have been evolving for a long long long time.
- Humans have evolved in the presence of plants.
- Plants cannot move around so they contain some very powerful chemicals that protect themselves from all kinds of predators.
- Humans have used plants as medicine for much longer than we have used any modern medicine.
- We could go on and on listing herbs that provide immense benefits to health of humans/animals but we figured we’d list some herbs that have immediate and fatal effects on humans just to drive the point that plants and herbs are potent, they can work immediately.
- The Hemlock plant can kill a human, it made it’s name in the history books by being responsible for providing the poison that killed Socrates.
- Ricin is a chemical derived directly from the Castor bean plant.
- Nicotine which needs no introduction comes from the Tobacco plant.
Luckily for us, the plant world has been extensively studied and herbal medicines are a result of thousands of years of documented research and trials. In the modern society there has been a trend to discredit herbs and instances of rare negative occurrences are giving the entire field a bad name.
Below is a list of some of the shining stars in the herbal world making their mark in modern medical journals, but the treasure trove of herbs extends far beyond:
- Holy Basil
Ayurveda - the original science that outlines the use of herbs and food as medicine is gaining recognition in the modern world and is bringing the power of these herbs to the people. It is an exciting time for the entire planet - plants and humans :)